This recipe was taught me years ago by a swedish stewardess, who was staying with us for a few days . It is absolutely scrumptios. The mushrooms cooked this way can be served with pasta, rice or potatoes as a main or side dish. The cream can be substituted with soya cooking cream in case of dairy intolerance
Serves 2 – 4
• 25g/1oz butter
• 550g/1lb 4oz small white button or chestnut mushrooms, cleaned with a dry cloth or brush
• ½ tsp chopped garlic
• 1 tbsp fresh thyme
• 50ml/2fl oz white Vermouth
• 100ml/3½fl oz crème frache or double cream
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add mushrooms, season and cook on high heat shaking the saucepan constantly until the mushrooms start getting colour on the sides.
2. Add chopped garlic, thyme , season and cook a few minutes more minutes , then add Vermouth and cook with the lead on until Vermouth almost evaporated.
3. Pour the cream in and bring to the simmer. Turn off and adjust seasoning
4. Serve hot as a garnish or main course with rice, potatoes or pasta