White chestnut cake (with caramel and walnuts)
- Make a cake mixture as in the Chestnut purée cake recipe
- Divide the mixture into tree equal parts and bake in three separate 21cm -26cm buttered and lined tins and bake in preheated 170°C oven for 30 min or until firm in the middle.
- Once the bases are ready, remove the tins from the oven, cover with a tea towel and leave to cool on the rack, without taking the cake bases out of the cake.
* It is possible to bake the mixture in one tin and slice it into three after it’s cooled down. In that case you need to adjust the baking time to 1 hour ( or until firm in the middle)
4. Prepare the Caramel. Heat the sugar and water in the small pan on medium gas until bubbling and begin to change colour to golden. In a separate pan or glass jar heat the cream until boiling point. Gradually very carefully bit by bit add hot cream to the bubbling caramel. Keep stirring until it’s smooth and glossy. Turn the heat off and add chopped walnuts.
5. Set Caramel aside to cool completely.
6. Prepare the filling by whisking sweet chestnut purée , rum and soft butter until light and fluffy.
7. Arrange the first cake base on the plate , cover generously with prepared filling.
8. Repeat with the second layer.
9. Arrange the third cake base on the top.
10. Smudge cool caramel on the top of the third layer.
11. Whisk double cream and vanilla seeds ( or extract) until stiff peaks and pipe or smudge it all over the cake.
12. Decorate to your taste or leave simply white and put cake into the fridge for at least couple of hours to set or until ready to serve.